Sunday, June 5, 2011

Yesterday was church, obviously. Every time  I go to this church I am so impressed by the quality of the people here. They are so intelligent. Even though most have been members for a very short time, they quote the Book of Mormon like it's their job. It makes me feel weak, but in the good way where I am inspired to read the Book of Mormon more. We had our first "choir practice" yesterday. I put it in quotes because it was not like the usual choir practice. We aren't really practicing for anything specific, they just like to sing. And they had a keyboard!!! I was incredibly excited. Unfortunately, I am not very good at playing the piano, but I plunked through it and the ward members sang with enough spirit to make up for my crappy playing. It was awesome because even though none of them read music at all, they all picked up on their parts pretty quickly. In my (vast) experience as choir director, if you have people come who don't read music, they are mostly a spot filler because it is so hard for them to learn their parts, but that wasn't the case here at all. i think they just have a natural talent for music. Another awesome thing is how many people came. All five other times I was choir director, it was like pulling teeth getting people to come. I would have to make fabulous treats, announce it personally in every class, go to peoples houses and beg them to come, and still I would be lucky if I got two people on each part. Here, they forgot to announce it until Relief Society and Priesthood and yet half the ward showed up. Afterward, everyone come up to me and thanked me for helping them. It was so sweet! Plus, their voices are beautiful.
Love you all and miss you!
Love,
Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment