Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10

The man whose will I wrote today did not speak ENglish very well,
which is not surprising (few people do,, though their English is
usually better than my Luganda). At one point, the intern had to step
out of the room, so rather than sit in awkward silence, I tried to
communicate with him. I told him that my Luganda was very poor, but he
was able to tell me in broken English how thankful he is that I was
there. It was pretty cool. He asked if I spoke Swahili and started
teasing me when I said no becuse Swahili, according to him, is an
international language that everyone should know. I told him I would
get rght on that. :) He was from Rwanda, where apparently they learn
French in schools, but he said that wouldn't help us either because he
hadn't been to school in so long, all he remembered were the
greetings. So I said "Bonjour!" He cracked up like that was the
funniest joke anyone had ever told him. After that, we were the best
of friends. Even when the intern was talking to him, he would keep
cracking jokes and turn to me and wink and smile at me to see if I was
laughing, which I totally was. Unfrotunately, I had no idea what he
was saying. It was still awesome though. :)
Perhaps you have been wondering about my sanitation accomadations (or
perhaps not, but I will tell you anyway). The inn Im staying in is
pretty nice, so the toilets always flush.  In fact, the only place we
have encountered a bathroom void of plumbing was when we went to
Nsangi, where the locals all share a whole in the ground. Eewwwwww.
Needless to say, I held it. There are not many public bathrooms, but
the ones I have run into have been usable. But, oh, there is one in
TASO that is immaculate. You walk in and it smells like cleaner and
everything sparkles. And there is soap! I often hold it until I get
there. It's that good.
After work, our day becames a whole lot more eventful. Tler started
feeling yucky and had to lay down for the last few hours of work. But
the time we were ready to leave and went to get him, he looked
terrible. As we were leaving, we passed a nurse. She took one look at
him and demanded that he come get his blood tested for malaria. The
rest of us went to get dinner (with Mark driving on the left side of
the road for his first time ever. He did a very good job). When we
came back to get Tyler, the car wouldn't start. It wasn't a dead
battery or anything, the ksy just wouldn't turn. A bunch of people
came and tried it, but nothing. So we had to sit and wait for a couple
hours until someone could come cut us another key. We passed the time
singing all the N*Sync songs we could remember the lyrics too
(surprisingly many). Eventually someone came and cut a key, but they
charged us an arm and a leg (ok, the equivelent of 15 US dollars, but
when you are paying less than a dollar a day for your food, that seems
like a lot), but we didn't care because at that point we were just
ready to get hooooooome! So was Tyler, whose malaria test came back
negative, though the doctor was unconvinced. Apparently it takes a few
days for malaria to show up in your blood test after you start showing
symptoms. I really hope he doesn't have it. All the AFricans act like
malaria is no big thing. It's kind of like the flu here, people get it
all the time. Most people get it once a year. But our pansy American
immune systems don't handle it as well. Don't worry, I am constantly
convered in bug spray.
Daddy, thanks for emailing me! I'm not sure if you would rather my
reply here, like II have been doing, or directly to your email, so I
decided here because then I would only have to hit send once, which is
the thing these computers have the hardest time with. Jake's basebal
sounds so fun!  Will there still be games in July when I get home? I
want to see him pitch. Also, I make no promises as to my ability to
not get attached to the baby cow.
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment