Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 16

Yesterday we actually got to work! YAY! Unfortunately, the day was
very slow. I swear, we ran into every single possible problem
yesterday, but in the end I think it was a good thing because we were
able to think up and implement solutions to the problems. The biggest
problem we deal with is the interns. They are all very nice and smart,
but they are kind of lazy. Also, they don't communicate very well. We
will finish a will, and I will say "ok, you sit here with the client
while I go and photocopy this. I'll be right back." I'll come back 5
mins later and the client and the intern are nowhere to be found. 30
mins later the intern comes back from "tea." it's super irritating.
Then, when it's time for lunch, we often go to lunch and then come
back and our interns haven't gone to lunch yet, meaning we waste 2
hours not working while we all eat. The problem is, lunch in Uganda
takes place around 1 or 1:30. While this is really late and we are
starving, the Americans realize that this is culture and we can't just
go around demanding that everyone adjust their schedules to
accommodate us. However, some days (Like yesterday) we have a lull of
clients right around noon. It seems obvious to us that we should take
lunch during the lull, so that we can work with clients when we get
back instead of sitting around during a lull and eating when there are
clients waiting at 1:30. However, the students don't want to eat that
early. It was funny because Savanah and I went and confronted our
interns at about 12:30 and told them very calmly and rationally that
we were all going to eat lunch now because there were no clients. They
were like, "No, it's ok." We were both like, "..........." Neither of
us are used to people not bending to our wishes when we explain them.
So, we ended up just wasting a bunch of time.
HOWEVER, these problems will likely be solved. We talked to Celia, the
director over social resources or something, and the woman was
amazing. She addressed all of our concerns and was totally on our side
about the wasting time thing. She said she would talk to the interns
and that everything should be better. And if not, she will send them
back to the university. Also, it was so good to talk to her to get a
real perspective on things. Because the day was frustrating, it was
easy for me to lose sight of why I'm really here and what the point of
all of this is. But she talked about her conversations with some of
the people we have written wills for and how we have given them hope
and security. I realized that even though I was frustrated by how few
wills I was able to complete yesterday, the few I did will make such a
difference to that individual, and that is completely worth it. If I
come to Africa and only secure the property rights for one family, it
has been a success. I think I need to talk to Celia more often.
After work we went to FHE. It was actually super fun and very much
like a Provo FHE. We had songs, a prayer, and a lesson, and then we
played games. We totally played Big Booty, like from girls camp,
except they called it President. I dominated. Then they played soccer.
I didn't play, but it was really fun to sit around and socialize with
some of the girls from the ward. Plus, they had refreshments! Uganda
is not big on dessert and I have been missing it mucho, so that was
awesome!
On the walk home, we randomly ran into Sam from the TASO clinic who
took us to a restaurant and bought us delicious bbq pork. That's right
everyone, I ate meat in Uganda! So stop worrying, I got protein.
When we finally got home, it was really late but we had a bunch of
work to do to prepare for work tomorrow. Because of that, we didn't
get started with P90X until 10pm. Not gonna lie, if it was just me I
totally wouldn't have done it, but sometimes peer pressure is a good
thing. Though I totally fell asleep in between moves. So this morning
I am REALLY TIRED.
I got my card back, so if you transferred the money out of my account,
please feel free to transfer it back in. The lady I got it from had
like 15 cards in her hand, so apparently that is something that
happens all the time. Lame.
I am dying to know if Natalie made the choir. Tell me!
Love you all!
Love, Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment