Saturday, May 7, 2011

May 4

Helloooooooo from Uganda!
Hey there family. I am still alive! Huzzah. Though I still don’t have
any luggage. That’s right. I am  living in a muggy third world country
wearing the same clothes I put on Sunday before the plane ride. Also
in my bags: my shampoo and deodorant. Yeah, I am a lovely sight. Today
we are starting work in the AIDS clinic, where all the other workers
wear nice clothes. We decided we simply couldn’t go in our 4 day old
jeans and tshirts, so yesterday we shopped and bought Uganda dresses
and shoes. Honestly, it looks a lot like an American dress, but it was
very cheap. It’s a way cute dress, though at this point I mostly care
that it is CLEAN!!!!
Yesterday we visited the clinic for the first time, just to talk to
people and get our worked planned out. In the meeting we had with the
social workers, it was so interesting to see the cultural differences
between Ugandans and Americans. And by that I mean it was the least
efficient meeting I have ever been to.  We were all going crazy and
kept trying to direct the meeting so that we would make some actual
decisions, but they were more focused on hearing everyone’s opinion.
Which I guess is nice, but was also slow.
Everyone in this country is so nice to us. It is so fun because in
many cases, we are the first white people they have ever seen in their
entire lives. Tyler (the boss guy) said that a lot of times babies
will cry when they see us because they think we’re a ghost or
something.
It is so beautiful! I wish I could adequately describe it to you. I am
taking a ton of pictures, but I’m not sure they even do it justice.
Everything is so green, all the plants and clothes are brightly
colored, and even the dirt is red instead of brown. It makes for a
really lovely sight.
I am doing very well at not dying. I have not been bitten by a single
mosquito yet, knock on wood. No small feat considering the fact that
all my repellant is in my suitcase. We drink nothing but bottled
water, which is sometimes difficult when I am so thirsty and there is
only tap water around. But whatev, it’s better than typhoid.
According to the airport, my luggage should be here today at 1pm. Pray
for that. I spend much of my time composing the scathing review I am
going to send to Delta once I get back in the states.
Love you all so much! And miss you too!
Love, Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment