Friday, May 13, 2011

May 11

This morning as we woke up for work, Phlavia (the
receptionist/concierge person at the inn) told us that the opposition
leader to the president was coming home from Kenya and was going to
make a trek from the airport here in Entebbe to Kampala. We were a
little nervous about it, but when we called the people at the clinic,
they said it would be just fine. However, as we were driving to work,
we were passed by car after car after car of army men heading to the
airport. We decided that we didn’t feel comfortable with the situation
at ALL, so we went home. When we called the people at the clinic, they
were like, “yeah, you should lay low.” Oh hey, thanks for telling us
that before. So we stayed home.
We were deciding what we wanted to do for the whole day (Tyler is
still comatose in his room. By the way, should I do something about
that? When should I call an ambulance?) I was like, “Well, I have a
collection of Shakespeare play, we could act one out.” Mostly I was
totally kidding, but Mark was like “Yeah, that would be awesome!” Mark
has a Shakespeare App on his iPod, so the four of us spent much of the
say doing a sort of readers theater version of King Lear. It was
AWESOME.
Eventually we got brave (read: really hungry) and ventured out to get
some food. We decided to eat by the shores of Lake Victoria because it
is A) beautiful and B) far enough from the road that we could hide if
a riot started. As we were eating, a bunch of police cars drove by
with their sirens blaring. I was like, “oh man, this is it. We’re
going to die.” Yeah, false. It was the lamest riot I have ever seen
(also the only riot I have ever seen). It was more like a parade. Just
a bunch of cars driving by. Which I am glad about. I much prefer that
that to an actual riot. So, long story short, we stayed home from work
for nothing. But better safe than sorry, right?

Herm, I am very proud of you getting my verbose movie titles. I am
also jealous of you hanging out with the mow girls. FUN PARTY. Though
I'm not jealous of mowing in the rain. YUCKY!  So far the only time it
has rained here is late at night when I have been asleep for hours and
it POURS. Seriously, the hardest rain I have ever heard in my life.
But, because I am safe in bed, I LOVE IT.
I am also jealous of your fab five time. Karen, if you are reading my
blog, I really want curry when I get back in America. I am struggling
a bit with food here (because most of it is truly revolting) but today
for luch I had some truly divine vegatarian samosas that were filled
with an amazing curry spice. I can make it if my days in Uganda are
filled with curry. But that doesn't mean I will be tired of it. I will
still want you to make me some.

Love you all!
Love,
Stefanie
P.S. I hope this sends. Phlavia's nephews are here and are using up a
ton of bandwidth playing car games on the other computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment